Simple Apple Crisp

My absolute favorite fall activity is to visit cider mills and apple orchards.  One of my favorite memories growing up was climbing the big ladders to pick the best apples we could possibly reach.  And then of course, we can’t forget the best part about cider mills…those delicious donuts (apple cider donuts!).

Now that I have children, I love that I can continue making memories with them.  And like almost any child, mine LOVE cider donuts just as much as I do. Thankfully they are only available once a year, because otherwise my waistline would be in big trouble!

Have you heard of the 80/20 rule?  It basically suggests that 80 percent of the time you should be making “healthy” food choices, and the remaining 20 percent can be indulgent choices.  Well let’s just say this would definitely fall into the 20 percent category.  Moderation, moderation, moderation!

7

Nutrition Tidbits

 Most apple crisp recipes I have come across suggest removing the peel, which is necessary in some recipes, however, I would suggest leaving them on.  Here’s why…

Apples are a great source of fiber.  A medium apple (3 inch diameter) has about 4.4 g of fiber but without the skin it’s less than half with only 2.1 grams of fiber.  Fiber is not only good for you digestive system (yes, keeping you regular), but also helps reduce your risk of heart disease, type-2 diabetes and diverticular disease.  In addition to lowering your risk of these diseases, fiber also helps with satiety, meaning higher fiber foods help you feel fuller longer, which may lead to eating less and helping to keep your weight in check.

Now of course there are several variations of apple crisp, but it’s always nice to make recipes that include ingredients that you would already typically have on hand.  This is one of them.

Begin by slicing 4 apples and placing them in a baking pan.  Use whatever pan you have handy since the size pan doesn’t matter as much since you can layer the apples as much as you’d like.

1

In a large bowl mix the remaining ingredients (brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and cinnamon) until the butter is mixed thoroughly with all the ingredients (I use my hands to mix this part).

2

Now just top the apples with the mixture and bake for about 40 minutes or until the apples are tender.

5

INGREDIENTS

Serves 6

4 tart apples, medium size (I used 2 granny smith and 2 golden delicious)

½ cup brown sugar

½ cup whole wheat flour

½ cup old fashioned oats

⅓ cup light butter (I used Light Olivio)

1 teaspoon cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and coat an 8 x 8 in baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Slice apples into equal size parts and place them into baking pan.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients until well mixed. I use my hands to make sure the butter spreads to all the ingredients.  Sprinkle the mixture over the apples.
  4. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
  5. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

NUTRITION INFORMATION (1 serving without ice cream or whipped cream)

249 Calories, 7 g Fat, 2 g Saturated Fat, 47 g Total Carbohydrates, 5 g Fiber, 3 g Protein

 © 2014 Kristy Hegner

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: